The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with violet

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Help with Venus Flytrap!| Next thread: help with young apple trees »
Back to Thread index
by guynvb on April 08, 2005 04:01 AM
Hey guys, I am brand new to the forum. So glad I found somewhere like this to share and hopefully get a few answers. I have a violet (that I have had for many years) that has a long stem on it (from once losing so many leaves) and I was wondering if there is something I can do about it. By the way, I realize the violet looks droopy but by accident I let the water run out. [Frown]

-
The top of the plant.
 -
Just a 'sibling' plant that I bought with the one above. Doing quite well!
 -

Any ideas or suggestions about this and more are much appreciated!
by obywan59 on April 08, 2005 07:46 AM
Welcome guynvb! (guy in Virginia Beach)???

I seem to remember successfully repotting a violet in the same condition as yours, simply planting it deeper.

Anybody else?

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by guynvb on April 09, 2005 01:34 AM
So, did you actually bury the now exposed stem under the soil line? Yup, I am in Va Beach. [Wink]
by obywan59 on April 09, 2005 09:35 AM
Yes, I buried the stem that was showing so that the plant looked normal.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Lily789 on April 13, 2005 02:27 AM
I've also heard of cutting the stem, dabbing with rooting hormone, and planting it in a new pot. Then it grows roots. Not that I've ever tried it...I usually repot it deeper, which is the easier way.

~Lily
by SharonSEVirginia on April 17, 2005 01:19 AM
Hi there!
I'm not to far away from you (Western Branch of Chesapeake)
I had the same thing happen to one of my African violets in the past and now I have another with a long neck. I planted it deeper in the pot and it did fine - but think I should have trimmed some off the bottom according to the experts at the African Violet Society of America - now I need to do it again.
They have an excellent website - here's a great link for care African violets - the faq's section covers many areas of care for these plants.

http://www.avsa.org/Faq.asp

Your AV's look pretty terrific!

Turning those AV's so they have even light distribution helps keep em growing straight (I forget a lot myself) but they let me know in a hurry.

Your neighbor,

Sharon
by guynvb on April 17, 2005 04:21 AM
Hey neighbor, thanks for the reply and the website. I will definitely check it out. I do want to to do something to get the plant in a better position.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help with Venus Flytrap!| Next thread: help with young apple trees »
Back to Thread index