The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sticky substance

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sticky sap on house plant| Next thread: Sticky-Goopy stuff »
Back to Thread index
by Eagle on January 13, 2006 10:24 AM
I am finding a sticky substance on my spider plants and indoor lime tree. What is it? [LIST]
by comfrey on January 13, 2006 11:45 AM
I'm not sure about the spider plant..is it near your lime tree???? I know that lemon trees put off this very sticky substance at certain times and I would assume that the lime tree would also.

-
 -
by Karamy on January 14, 2006 06:27 AM
I know nothing about citrus trees, but aphids and scale are 2 common plant pests that secrete a sticky substance...and spider plants are susceptible to both of these pests. My mom had a sticky spider plant, I looked at it and found scale. Do a web-search for pictures of aphids and scale and then examine your plants for them.
by Eagle on January 14, 2006 10:48 AM
The lime tree is next to the spider plants but there is definately some sort of entity hosting on the plants. Can I just clean them off with soap and water or do I have to use something stronger?
by Karamy on January 15, 2006 05:45 AM
If it's scale, you'll have to pick them off with your fingers, and then use the soap and water (a few drops of dish soap in water, pref.)to eliminate the more immature scale that are not yet covered by the tough shell...have you seen pictures of scale? They cover themselves with a roundish, tan-to-black hard shell (that protects them from anything you put on) and then remain stationary on the plant, sucking it's life juices. This shell is what you scrape off with your nails, then you can treat the plant. Whether it's scale or aphids, I would recommend adding some rubbing alcohol (1 part, to 3 parts water) to the mixture to make it stronger. Diluted alcohol won't hurt most plants, and definitely not a spider, though I'm not positive about the lime. You'll want to repeat the application, maybe twice a week for a month.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sticky sap on house plant| Next thread: Sticky-Goopy stuff »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: