The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Continuation of: Want to Share Pictures of My Plants and Ask A Few Questions.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: CONTEST/FOODNETWORK| Next thread: Contractor help for Sod »
Back to Thread index
by Smh023 on April 06, 2005 04:13 PM
Continuing....

-
This was my mystery plant, but I seen the same plant in Kroger the other day and I believe it is an Irish Shamrock. When I cut this plant to root it for myself I had no clue what it was I thought it was just neat looking. I know that it will grow towards the sun and it closes up at night like in the picture. Any other information about it, I would love.

-
This is my Palm; don’t know what type of Palm but it likes water. Anyone know anything else about this one?

-
This is my Peace Lily.

-
This is my Rubber Tree, now I only know a little bit about this plant. Any information would be great!

-
And my Orchid, I love this plant. I got me some Orchid potting soil last night so I did it correctly. I also got the pepples with some water in the bottom tray. Now I’m curious how the pepples and water creates humidity like it does? Does anyone know?
And how often do I need to water a Orchid??

That is all of my “family” so far!
Thanks Everyone.
by Dixie Angel on April 06, 2005 04:23 PM
Hello, Smh023! Beautiful plants. Just wondering, though. Are you sure that your "palm" isn't just a big peace lily? That's what it looks like to me.

Dianna

-
 -
by Smh023 on April 06, 2005 04:29 PM
A Peace Lily!! Really??
I didn’t know that peace lilies got that big? Well if it is then it sure fooled me. I just assumed that it was some sort of Palm just bc of the leaves. It does bud white flowers from time to time.
Any other info about them I sure need to know!! [thumb]
by Dixie Angel on April 06, 2005 04:44 PM
I have seen them even bigger than that! [Wink]

My peace lily (from my mother's funeral nearly 6 years ago) looks about the size of yours.

Dianna

-
 -
by Smh023 on April 06, 2005 04:52 PM
I knew I loved this site!!
I really didn’t know that, that is so interesting.
I think I didn’t know bc I have only seen the smaller peace lilies.

I actually rescued well what I thought was a Palm from my office. Nobody was taking care of it so I brought it home and nursed it back to health again.
So I'm assuming that it takes the same care as the small Peace Lily, loves sun and it drinks lots of water.

Any other information would be great too!! On any of my plants!
by Jiffymouse on April 07, 2005 04:19 AM
one word of caution... if your peace lily has always been inside, let it get used to the sun gradually and never leave it in full sun in the heat of the day. it'll lose its leaves to sunburn. other than that, they get huge depending on the species variation.
by Smh023 on April 07, 2005 08:39 PM
My peace lilies have always been inside. I sit them in front of the sliding glass door (I live in an apartment) for sun occasionally.
The big peace lily is kind of tucked into the corner of the door and gets a little bit of sun as you can see in the picture.
The only thing I have noticed is on the smaller one they very bottoms leaves will start to die off and I will just cut them. And on the big one the bottoms leaves will get hard and torn looking and I just cut them too. And it does fine.

Any info on the Rubber Tree?
And how often do I need to water the Orchid?
by mich168 on April 13, 2005 10:33 PM
Orchids - depends on the type and how you have them potted. They do like to be moist and humid (overall). Smaller more frequent watering will work. Also don't use tap water, they don't seem to like that.
Your plant looks great. I've had my Cattleya
orchid for a couple of years now, and it still alive. Just repotted it over the winter. It lost an old leaf, but is now growing 2 new ones. You might also want to get an orchid fertalizer, I am using some now as my plant is growing and I hope it will flower. For photos of last year's flowers,
go here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/65018259zVMxBF

-
 -
by phoenix on April 13, 2005 11:13 PM
[wayey] smh

i have a purple shamrock too [grin]
very easy to care for
1. they like moist soiland bright light
2. temps on the cool side
they are bulb plants however so the purple variety goes thru a period of dormancy for about a month. when it starts to go into"hybernation" stop watering, pull off all the dead leafs and move it to a spot where it will be cool and dry for about a month.when it starts to come back from hybernating re-start watering and i usually give mine a "little shot" of all purpose house plant fertilizer, and BOOM TONS OF NEW BLOOMS [grin]
ive had mine for about 12 years now and for the first 2-3 years i didn't even know what it was or how to care for it [dunno] that is until my nana came to see my new house and told me how to take care of it (and what it was) [thumb]
i hope that this is ample info for you to raise a happy and beautiful shamrock [muggs]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Shax on August 12, 2005 04:13 AM
Orchids: the moth orchid you have needs to be water every 7-9 days, more in the summer and less in winter. You can stick your fingers in the pot mix, if it feels more than 50% dry, it is time to water. Beware, overwatering is the most common problem in growing orchids.

And the pepples do not "create" humidity. They help to trap the water around them and raise the pot. When water slowly vaporize it increases the humidity around the orchid.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: CONTEST/FOODNETWORK| Next thread: Contractor help for Sod »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: