The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Yellow spots from dog

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Yellow Roses| Next thread: yellow squash »
Back to Thread index
by Willowbug on April 09, 2006 05:04 AM
We had a black lab until last month and she used a huge part of the lawn to go on. Now we have these "burn" spots on the lawn. What can I do to get the grass to grow again? Can I just lay seed or do I need to dig the area up and than reseed?
by The Plant Doc on April 09, 2006 09:48 PM
You will need to either flush the heck out of the area with plenty (many inches) of water, or dig it out and replace it. What has happened is the urine has over fertilized those areas. Beware of the ole wives tale saying to put lime in those spots. Lime does nothing to remove the excess nitrogen. What part of Cheeseland are you from? I am over in the Lacrosse area on the western side of the state.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Willowbug on April 10, 2006 07:51 AM
I'm in Oshkosh. As we had so much snow this past winter will that be enough to flush the area out? At one point the area was so logged with water you could not walk on it or you would sink. After I flush it out, if I have to, I just place grass seed down? Anything else? I really do not want to dig it up as its a large area.
by The Plant Doc on April 14, 2006 06:18 AM
If it was totally water logged it ay have been enough to wash it out depending on the soil type you have. If there is a heavy clay base under the top soil you may have problems getting rid of it.
The best way to reseed would be to rake away all the dead material, then while the soil is still loose from the raking put down the seed, then using the back side of a spring rake work the seed into the loose soil. Once it starts to sprout make sure its stays well watered. Since youa er doing this in the spring, you may wind up with a bumper crop of crab grass in the same spot come later in the summer, but there is nothing you can do to prevent that when seeding.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Willowbug on April 14, 2006 07:35 AM
I raked away the dead grass and planted seed today. I was amazed at how easy the dead grass came away from the ground. I was thinking this would be an all day event! I planted seed last spring and it came in very nice and quick so I do not think I will have any trouble with it this year. We are putting our house up for sale in May, I think this will work great. Our lawn has a lot of bare spots from the kids playing ball, so it doesn't look that odd. I think I notice it more than anyone else would. Thanks for the help!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Yellow Roses| Next thread: yellow squash »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: