The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Choosing a grass?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by KKMedic on March 27, 2006 11:18 PM
OK... we just had our land for the new house leveled... now we are trying to decide what type of grass to seed it with (cant afford to sod it) We have lots of kids and dogs, so the grass needs to be ery durable. We are in zones 7b-8a border (summers are really hot... winters very mild) We have been told Bermuda would make the prettiest and most durable, but I have heard and read horror stories of it taking over and ivading flowerbeds. We were told centipede was a good grass. I have read so much about so many types that it is overwhelming. Also, if we dont get it seeded in a few weeks, I am sure the weeds and icky stuff that was covering the land will take over again. Any input, ideas, experience, or suggestions? Thanks...
Katherine [dunno]

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by Longy on March 29, 2006 12:01 PM
My suggestion is to ensure the soil is ready first. Drainage must be excellent, get the Ph right. etc. So much money can be wasted on a lawn if the soil is not properly prepared.
May i suggest a call to the local golf club and talk to the greenkeeper re lawn type and soil prep.

-
The secret is the soil.
by mike57 on March 29, 2006 12:44 PM
[wavey] HI KK I would use a mix of different grass seeds so you will have a green lawn year round there many to chose from.creeping fescue,winter rye,are just a couple.but here is a link that will help you de side on what is best for you.
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/wholesale/grassseed.htm#Universal%20Lawn.
a good mix of seeds will produce a very pretty lawn year long you can buy these at any local farmers cooparative.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wavey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by kyjoy on April 03, 2006 02:02 AM
Why don't you consult your local nursery or county agent. While we are noted for Bluegrass in my area of Zone 6, Fescue 31 makes a much nicer yard here.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: