The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how can i divide an asparagus fern...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Cricket on March 26, 2005 07:57 AM
[wayey]

After reading the posts on peace lily division , it seems wise to consult with others prior to attempting this surgical procedure on an asparagus fern...wait...this asparagus fern, to be precise:

-

Keeping in mind that my malpractice insurance premium payments have fallen behind, is there any advice i need?

Cricket the Intern

by Bill on March 26, 2005 03:50 PM
Asparagus sprengeri is a member of the lily family.
The root ball can be sliced into segments with a sharp knife or pulled apart by hand.
Sprengeri produces small bulblets which can be planted individually as well.

-
by phoenix on March 26, 2005 08:05 PM
hey cricket,
i have 2 MASSIVE asapagus ferns and 1 small one the 2 larger were my mothers that were at one point 1 very large plant. she had the whole one in a very large pot for about 30 years. when she moved to georgia i inherited about 80 house plants. the fern was one. i immediately took it out of it's big pot and with a very sharp knife i cut it in 2. repotted both and i now have 2 beautiful,huge asparagus ferns. one of them produced these little red berries(can anyone tell me what they may be??? seeds?(i doubt)fruit??)i wish you luck with your division [muggs] [clappy]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Bill on March 26, 2005 08:17 PM
quote:
one of them produced these little red berries(can anyone tell me what they may be??? seeds?(i doubt)fruit?
Each small berry will have a seed in it. Remove the pulp from the seed and soak it room temperature water overnight before planting 1/2 " deep. Keep the planting medium at 70-80 degrees and the seed should germinate in about 4 weeks.
The seeds have a short shelf life so I don't recommend saving them for long...

-
by phoenix on March 26, 2005 08:29 PM
OH MY GOSH BILL,
thank you i was hoping that they were seeds you made my day dude [thumb] i just wish it didn't take so long for them to sprout. i am really amazed that the plant that produced them did so. it has been through some trauma. again,than you thank you THANK YOU!!!! [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Will Creed on March 27, 2005 03:16 AM
Cricket,

That is such a beautiful plant. Why do you want to divide it?

Will The Curious
by afgreyparrot on March 27, 2005 03:56 AM
Because she wants to give me part of it.
I told her "NO!"

Please tell her not to! She'll listen to you.
It's sooo pretty!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Cricket on March 27, 2005 06:39 AM
Thank you, it is a beautiful plant. My reason for dividing it is two-fold - It's very rootbound and I'm having to water is nearly daily and I want to give a division of the plant to a friend. [lala] As I have never divided one before, I am a bit nervous about the procedure but if it's already necessary to water it so frequently during the winter and spring - our rainy, humid season (yes, the house is very humid), what will it be like during the hot, dry summer?

quote:
The root ball can be sliced into segments with a sharp knife or pulled apart by hand.
Do I want to try to separate roots, slicing between them? My understanding is that these plants have VERY strong roots. What happens if they're sliced through?
by Will Creed on March 27, 2005 05:57 PM
Cricket,

Slicing right through the rootball with a stout knife is the best way to go, unless you enjoy spending three days drying to pick apart the roots.

If potboundness was your only concern - and I understand it is not - then I would suggest root pruning. This is simply using that same stout knife to slice a half inch off the bottom and sides of the rootball and replacing it with fresh potting mix. This works like a charm for plants that you would like to keep as-is in the same pot.

Will The Slicer
by Cricket on March 28, 2005 04:16 AM
Thanks, for the advice, Slicer Will! Are there plant equivalents of major artories I should avoid?

quote:
She'll listen to you.

NOT! [Big Grin]
by Will Creed on March 28, 2005 05:29 AM
Cricket,

If you won't listen to me, why should I reply?
OK, I will anyway just out of spite.

Asparagus ferns do have some "large white tubers" (Amy - That was the name of my rock group before it became integrated) that look like they would hemorrhage if you sliced them. But I have sliced them often with no ill affect. Go forth boldly!

Will The Spiteful Slicer
by afgreyparrot on March 28, 2005 05:45 AM
Gee...my reply to Cricket's has disappeared into thin air.

Spooky. [scaredy]

-
 -
 -
by Will Creed on March 28, 2005 05:54 AM
Cindy - How can that be? Can you be disappeared too? I hope not!
by afgreyparrot on March 28, 2005 05:57 AM
I don't know!
Can you see me???

-

-
 -
 -
by Cricket on March 28, 2005 05:58 AM
Many strange, unexpected and unexplained things have been occuring with this thread! Do you think the full moon has anything to do with it?! Maybe the aliens? [scaredy]
by Bill on March 28, 2005 06:00 AM
quote:
Gee...my reply to Cricket's has disappeared into thin air.
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........... I wonder WHY!!! [Frown]

-
by Cricket on March 28, 2005 06:03 AM
Don't know if anyone else can, but I see you, Cindy! [wayey]
by Cricket on March 28, 2005 06:06 AM
Surgery is scheduled for this week. Keep your fingers crossed the patient survives in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon!
by Bill on March 28, 2005 06:27 AM
***** THE END!!! *****

[Frown]

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: