The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Jacobs ladder....| Next thread: Jade »
Back to Thread index
by Anita on March 22, 2005 04:18 PM
Help! Please be patient with me. I'm not sure I am using this site properly.
My Jade plant is huge and tipping out of the pot. We have tied it to the wall and are using stakes to hold it up. The base is approx. 6" in dia. We would like to trim it. I have read your articles on pruning and understand everything, except, what to do with the wound on the main stem if a rather large (2 1/2") branch is removed. This plant is over 25 years old and it going out of control!
Anita
by obywan59 on March 22, 2005 05:02 PM
I've never pruned a jade, but I've pruned another jade like plant I have. I've never worried about the cuts. They may ooze for a bit, but they should heal up just fine. You might want to put an old sheet under the plant in case any of the sap drips. I've also pruned an old umbrella plant cutting stems that were 2 inches thick. Again, no problems.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Anita on March 22, 2005 05:54 PM
Thank you for the reply. I am going to try this on the weekend. There is really nothing to loose at this point. The plant is going to have to grow a better root system in order that it may stand on its own once we prune it into balance. I will report back on the progress at a later date.
by Will Creed on March 23, 2005 04:03 AM
Hi Anita,

The root system is probably not the problem. Jade leaves are very heavy as they grow out on the ends of unpruned stems. So gravity takes over. This is particularly true if the Jade has not had lots of direct sunlight and the stems are thinner and weaker than sun-grown stems.

Pruning a Jade is as much art as science and hard to describe. I suggest that you start by pruning off the outer growth all around the plant and stay away from the main stems for now. If you would like to post a photo, I might be able to give some specific pruning recommendations.
by Anita on March 23, 2005 04:36 PM
Thank you Will,
I will post a photo on the weekend (have too much to do, as I am having my family over for Easter). Once they are gone, I will send it.
It does have direct sunlight (it sits in front of a south facing window). The problem started when we moved the plant from our living room into our family room. The thing weights a ton, and it was very hard for me to maneuver it. At the same time we also transplanted it into a larger pot. Apparently nothing hurt it, because it is growing splendidly. It flowers regularly.
Anyway, I will keep you posted. Once again,thank you for your expert advice.
Have a happy holiday,
Anita

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jacobs ladder....| Next thread: Jade »
Back to Thread index