The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

poison ivy, poison oak, poison.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: poison ivy| Next thread: Poisonious Plants »
Back to Thread index
by dolphinmp75 on June 02, 2004 02:47 AM
everywhere!!! how do i get rid of it????? [Mad]

have a good one! -dolphinmp75
by catlover on June 02, 2004 03:03 AM
Round Up!!! There is another one now on the market called Rumadu...same thing only less expensive!!!
Look on label for concentration % needed for each poison plant!! [thumb]
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Eugene Carroll on June 11, 2004 10:08 PM
Be careful if the poison ivy is on a tree, use minimum herbicide. Poison ivy is a woody plant and the same types of chemicals that kill it can harm the tree.
by Nobody on September 09, 2004 04:16 AM
I had a very bad case of poison oak for about 5 days. I tried a product called Zanfel and it completely washed away all of the poison oak. If I ever meet the inventer of this product I will give em a great big wet kiss!

I STRONGLY recommend Zanfel..it really works in seconds.
by The Plant Doc on September 10, 2004 10:29 PM
Are you trying to get rid of the plant or the rash?

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by FLOWERCHILD74 on April 06, 2006 07:31 AM
bad case...i had a bad case that lasted all summer long ;( how painfull..and yucky!

FLOWERCHILD74
by FLOWERCHILD74 on April 06, 2006 07:32 AM
zanfel is the product to get rid of the rash..lol i thiught it was the crap plant it self...

FLOWERCHILD74
by comfrey on April 06, 2006 10:45 AM
There is a salt and vinegar mixture that you can make to spray on the base of the poison ivy or oak or anything you don't want...It will kill it, so use control when spraying it, I'll look for the exact recipe and post it.

As far being exposed to it and rash...If you think you have touched some, go inside and use rubbing alcohol to wash all exposed skin right away with the alcohol..the alcohol will neturalize the poison on your skin and keep you from breaking out into a rash.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 07, 2006 10:43 AM
Here is the recipe for killing poison ivy, oak or anything else you want to kill:

2 cups vinegar
1 cup salt
8 drops of dish soap

Heat the vinegar and salt until the salt has dissolved, then add the dish soap and it is ready to spray on anything unwanted, be careful where you spray..it will kill anything it gets on, For climbing vines..just spray the base of the vine the rest will die.

-
 -
by netty on April 07, 2006 11:13 PM
Thanks Comfrey for that recipe! I'm always looking for natural remedies. I'm trying that one for sure [thumb]

-
 -
by comfrey on April 08, 2006 10:29 AM
Thanks...Let us know how it works on what ever you plan to use it on. I think you will be amazed at how something "non toxic" will work so well, But if the secret gets out [angel] There could be less harmful chemical products being used.

-
 -
by The Plant Doc on April 08, 2006 08:28 PM
I would not use that on the lawn unless you want to kill the grass as well.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by netty on April 08, 2006 08:57 PM
I wanted to use this between patio stones and all the places I have used rocks to stop the grass and weeds from poking thru. It looks so sloppy when things grow up between the rocks.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 10, 2006 10:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Plant Doc:
I would not use that on the lawn unless you want to kill the grass as well.
Yes it will kill grass, but you have to be careful what you spray it on, it really isn't any different then using something like roundup...Just cheaper and less toxic.

-
 -
by The Plant Doc on April 11, 2006 09:19 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Round Up is pretty safe. In lay mans terms it is pretty much just fatty acids, the same thing found in old fashioned yellow soap. It is not meant to be used in lawns. The commercials on TV are very deceiving. If you have it spread into your lawn use any 2.4.D type product. Ortho has a good one called Weed-B-Gone. Follow the directions to the letter, and do not over apply. It will not harm the grass.

For use between patio blocks there would be nothing wrong with using the salt/vinegar/soap solution if you wanna go that route. [Smile]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by porter57 on April 20, 2006 10:30 AM
you want something natural for between patio blocks?
this one is as natural as it gets
buy a tea kettle
fill it with water(h20)
heat it till the tea kettle whistles
pour it on the cracks
weeds will be dead within a couple days
repeat as neccessary
it really works!
by obywan59 on April 20, 2006 11:48 AM
Porter's right, I've tried it.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by shezalady on April 27, 2006 09:57 AM
Any suggestions on getting rid of poison ivy/oak that is growing in ground covers? We just moved into a house with lots of ground cover, and poison ivy/oak is growing everywhere! I don't want to kill the ground cover. Help!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: poison ivy| Next thread: Poisonious Plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: