The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Philodendron Selloum having problems...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Philodendron Selloum| Next thread: philodendrons and formaldahyde »
Back to Thread index
by awerawer on March 22, 2005 04:06 AM
I've had this plant for at least six years, and took it from a rather small specimen to a quite large and healthy one. In the last several months, though, it has become quite unhappy and the leaves are slowly dying starting at the margins--I've done research on bacterial infections, but none seem to 'fit' the description of what's happening to my plant. It continues to produce new leaves, but even on the babies, spots appear on the margins that are first translucent, then spread over the leaf, become yellower, then eventually dry out & these areas turn brown....ultimately killing the leaf but not the stalk.

I replanted it, in case the roots were getting too wet, and have removed the diseased leaves and put it in the place in the house that it seemed happiest. I thought we were doing well, but noticed a couple days ago that one of the new leaves has another spot. I love this plant and really don't want to lose her--if anyone has had this problem and has suggestions on what might help I would be very grateful!

Like I alluded to, it doesn't appear to be bacterial leaf blight, and I don't think it's over watering causing the problem. MUCHAS GRACIAS to anyone who can help!!

Kelli [nutz]
by Will Creed on March 22, 2005 04:16 AM
Hi Kelli,

That's a tough one. I have seen that with some Selloums. It is an indication of some type of soil/root related problem. It could be roots wandering out of drainage holes, a very potbound condition, allowing the soil to get too dry, overfertilizing, or using hard water.

Lots of possibilities there, but you can probably narrow them down by the process of elimination.

(It is not bacterial or fungal or a pest problem.)
by Amy R. on March 22, 2005 08:23 PM
Cool, mine is the hard water! Thanks Mr. Will! [flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Philodendron Selloum| Next thread: philodendrons and formaldahyde »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: