The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP!! My philodendron is yellowing up!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Mandy N. on March 18, 2005 06:12 AM
I got a really healthy philodendron from my office, and ever since I brought it home all of the leaves are turning yellow!! I have been misting it, and not over watering it, so what else should I do???? It is in an east facing window that is filtered, and so I don't think the sunlight is an issue... or is it??? PLEASE HELP!! [Eek!] [dunno]
by linda12159 on March 18, 2005 06:46 AM
could it be used to office lights [dunno] i have one hanging over my kitchen sink which has a floresent light, it does fabulous....but the one in the living room doesn't thrive nearly as much. but you mentioned the yellow leaves....i always thought that was a sign of underwatering. maybe stick it in your tub and give it a good drink, till the water drains from the bottom. might help.. [dunno]
Linda
by Mandy N. on March 18, 2005 07:10 AM
I will give it a good drink.. thanks, but also, do these plants like to be in smaller containers, or should I repot it? It seems to have a gangle of stems in the pot near the soil.. just wondering.
by Cricket on March 18, 2005 07:32 AM
by Mandy N. on March 18, 2005 08:45 PM
Thanks Cricket... I read that site after my last post and got a lot of information from it. [grin]
by linda12159 on March 19, 2005 05:27 PM
hi mandy....what did you decide to do, transplant? just curious?
Linda
by Mandy N. on March 20, 2005 12:35 AM
Hello. I have decided to transplant it, but I am waiting until after my surgery (I have my gallbladder out on tues! YIKES!) [scaredy]
by adirondack on March 20, 2005 02:51 AM
mandy-good luck with gall bladder. lots offolks have no problems.i'm one of the gazillion that did and still do 13 years later,arrgghh.
anyhow. i think your philly is just in ' move shock'..
is it in a draft?
it might like a s.w. filtered window or need a flouresent for a couple weeks.
east might not be right type of light .this time of year. also-lettingit get rather dry is better thankeeping too moist.
if leaves drop. snip off for cuttings to start new 9and refresh by causing new branches of it to sprout from sides of cut off .
hope you make out ok. keep us posted.
cindy lou

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by Mandy N. on March 20, 2005 04:34 AM
Thanks! I will try moving it until transplant time. Thanks for the well wishes! Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well. (with me, and the plant!) [flower] I am also having my endometriosis burned off at the same time. I am one of the fortunate few who got it again 9 months after giving birth. (most people go into a 4yr hibernation period... lucky me [Frown] )
by linda12159 on March 20, 2005 04:24 PM
hi mandy...oh my, i sure hope everything goes well for you. will say a prayer for you.....yes, and plant too!! [thumb]
Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by Jiffymouse on March 20, 2005 04:29 PM
my gallbladder surgery went very well, and greatly improved my life... here's praying your's does too! (i can finally eat pop corn and cheese cake again... yum yum)
by Mandy N. on March 20, 2005 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone! The well wishes and prayers are greatly appreciated! [kissies] I'll keep you posted on how things go. (and of course with the plant too! HA!)
by adirondack on March 23, 2005 04:20 AM
so much good luck.
endometreosis is painful to say the least-so is a malfunctionong gallbladder.
my complications wouldn't have beenat all had the surgeon not ignored the 2 metals allergy bracelets on both wrists,plus dropped multiple metal clips --he shouldn't have beenusingto begin with --and chose to close me up and lie about it for a year.. operated on me 2x more to attempt retreival...over the past 13,yes--13 years--i can't get a dr to follow through..
no one wants to get involved..i suffer horribly. [Eek!]
so- next month,my story will be on the news-the news dudes were already here,filming me.
so- i wish you well, and your philly plant as well.
hugs..
[flower]
cindy lou

-
Take time to enjoy life,especially the natural/simple things.
We only have one life to live,we weren't put here to stress out.
by Mandy N. on March 23, 2005 05:48 AM
wow! good luck!! I am done with surgery, and I feel horrible! (as expected right now) I will be watching for your story. I hope you have a good lawyer! Im off to take my painkiller.
Mandy

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: