The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The aphids are coming! The aphids are coming!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: The Aphids Are Back! AHHHH!| Next thread: The aphids took my baby! »
Back to Thread index
by plantlady19 on June 22, 2004 08:25 PM
I have an indoor asparagus fern that has never been outside, yet has some how become host to hundreds of aphids. The damage is starting to show and the only houseplant insecticide I currently have is murder on ferns. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Please... [Embarrassed]
by plantlady19 on June 24, 2004 08:56 PM
Please, oh, please. Won't someone help me? [thinker]
by Nako on June 24, 2004 11:25 PM
My house is infested with Lady Bugz. Ya want some? lol. J/k, i don't wana touch em >.< and mailing them would require touching them...

At the store, i found a lil tub, and read it. Turned out that inside the tub were two praying mantis pods. Whatcha do is you put em in the crotch of a plant, and when they hatch, they'll eat all bugs, spiders, and all kindsa stuff. problem is that there's HUNDREDS of them per pod o.O So ya, that may not work. They do stay in the same place however, and they eat eachother. So the population might get widdled down pretty good. But still, bugs in the house probably aren't the best idea lol.

What you can do though, is get like 5 or 6 lady bugs, and release them. They have a less chance of scaring you too much, and they'll die out eventually too. This is all i could think of >.< I don't really recommend it though lol.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by weezie13 on June 25, 2004 03:54 AM
Plantlady,
Will Creed and Lizheaemma come thru every so many days....
Should be here soon!
I can see if the Buglady is with in ear shot too!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on June 25, 2004 06:08 AM
Hello.. sorry it has taken me so long.. i am off in the mountains and not getting my mail too often these days....

what kind of house plant? sure they are aphids? sometimes just washing the plant with water would be enough.. or you can use a 1% soap solution.

Good luck...

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by plantlady19 on June 25, 2004 08:27 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. And yes I'm sure they are aphids. I've done my homework. I just wish the little suckers weren't so hard to get rid of. [Wink]
by ferroworks on July 02, 2004 03:24 AM
i used an insecticidal soap that was very harmful to my Persian Shield and Chlorophytum Fire Flash..... the next time those little suckers came back about 2 months later, I used a very mild (i think bug lady said 1%?) soapy solution. it killed all the aphids with little damage to my Persian Shield, but the FireFlash hasn't recovered too well.

i think next time they come back i will spray as many aphids off with water as i can, then lightly spray them with an even milder soapy solution.

where do they come from? mine are all indoor plants...
by plantlady19 on July 06, 2004 06:20 PM
Say, that is an excellent question. I would really like to know how my strictly indoor fern got aphids. Could the soil have been contaminated?

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: The Aphids Are Back! AHHHH!| Next thread: The aphids took my baby! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: