The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dracaena

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dracaena| Next thread: Dracaena »
Back to Thread index
by BoothX3 on June 21, 2004 08:57 PM
My husband recently bought a Dracaena Massengeane Cane plant. I told him I would do a little research on exactly wht it was and how to care for it. I have found that it is commonly called the corn plant and that it doen't need much water or light, and to try to keep it at least at 70 degrees or warmer. It does have a few brownish colored leaves. The lady at the garden shop where he bought it said to prune them. What is the best way to do that or do I need to worry about over doing it. Also anyone with more info, I would really appreciate it. [dunno]

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
by plantlady19 on June 21, 2004 09:32 PM
I have a couple of corn plants myself. They make a lovely and easy to care for addition to anyone's home. [Smile] As long as the few brown leaves aren't the only ones the plant has I wouldn't be concerned about pruning them. Just make sure you use clean, sharp gardening shears or scissors that are equally sharp and clean. Also you might want to invest is a spray bottle and lightly mist the plant every 2-3 days. Andy when the plant gets dustly all you need is a light water mist from the spray bottle and a soft paper towel to gently clean your plant.
by BoothX3 on June 22, 2004 07:35 PM
Thanks for the input. The lady at the garden center told my husband to rub the leaves with mayonaise. Does this really do anything for the plant, besides make the leaves look shiny? Also, does anyone know why they call it a corn plant? [Embarrassed]

by plantlady19 on June 22, 2004 08:31 PM
Yes. Though strange it does make the leaves shiney. Although I'd be concerned about the mayo going bad on the leaves and making it stink. If you would really like your leaves to be shiney, most garden stores sell products to clean and shine the leaves. But for me, water is enough to get them clean. As for your other question. I believe the plant got its less than formal name of "corn plant", because its leaves are reminiscent of those found on an actual corn stalk.
by BoothX3 on June 24, 2004 02:59 AM
When you go to clean up some of the leaves that have started to turn brown, should I remove only the brown parts, or trim the entire leaf? [dunno]

by Jiffymouse on June 29, 2004 07:19 AM
i usually remove only the brown part unless is is more than 1/2 of the leaf. then, i will remove the whole leaf. it really depends on the plant, the asthetics, and my mood.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dracaena| Next thread: Dracaena »
Back to Thread index