The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Arid region

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Argh! Bugs!!!| Next thread: aroids, »
Back to Thread index
by Madhulika on March 09, 2005 11:08 AM
I am just starting out into the gardening habit. I live in the Middle east and the summers are approaching. any ideas on which plants to grow indoor under constant airconditioning and indoor temperatures of around 24 degree centigrade.

Hoping to have some color in my house soon
by rozy221 on March 10, 2005 04:40 AM
Hi Madhukia! Welcome to the forum! Somebody else will probably be by that can help you more, but I checked out www.onlineconversion.com (a very handy site with all sorts of conversions), and I see that your 25 centigrade is about 75F. That's pretty average-warm. One of my favorites that would fit well in this climate would probably be a croton-many different varieties, great colored foliage. Spider plants and cacti are always good, african violets if you want to take a stab at getting them to bloom. Like I said, I don't know of too many varieties, but these should get you started, and I'm sure someone else will come along with more info for you. Good luck! [wayey]
by sachis2112 on March 11, 2005 11:31 PM
Oh, gee! You could probably get anything to work for you. The real question should be, how hard do you want to work? If you don't want to work too hard, it's a totally different set of plants.

Please let us know! For example, if you don't mind watering a lot but you don't want to buy a humidifier for the house.

-
by Will Creed on March 13, 2005 11:17 PM
Oman may be an arid country, but that will have little bearing on your selection of indoor plants. Most commonly-used indoor plants do just fine in very low humidity. Indoor plants are also mostly from tropical regions where warm temps are the norm.

So your primary consideration should be matching plants with available light. A Croton is a brilliantly colored plant, but it requires abundant direct sun to maintain its color. Other common houseplants must be protected from direct sunlight.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Argh! Bugs!!!| Next thread: aroids, »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: