The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please Help!!!! My Money Tree is Dying!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Piranha on November 28, 2006 04:49 AM
Hello!

I've been reading a lot of the posts and replies regarding unhealthy money trees but I wanted to get a little more specific in terms of how to help my tree be healthy again...

I repotted my tree a few months ago b/c I read online from a garden website that money trees should be repotted every spring... I think I may have repotted into a pot much too big for my tree, but I'm not sure if that's the case or if there is something else.

The first year I got the tree, it was beautiful and healthy and grew rapidly (I watered it once a week with 8 oz of drinking water in a hands length sized pot that it came in, maybe 8-10 inches).

I repotted it into a pot maybe twice as big (I think a little bigger even) with miracle grow potting mix (that says it retains twice as much moisture) and I removed the plant from its original soil completely and mixed the new soil with the old and placed it in the new pot.

It was doing okay for a month or so, and then the leaves started to brown all over and they started falling off rapidly. I moved my plant away from the window b/c it was very close to the a/c but it has recently been getting worse and worse.

There are five braided trunks and now four out of the five are soft and wrinkled (almost like they were sitting in water!!!) and the tops of all of the trunks are really dry and have a flakey brown look all over...

I stopped watering it every week and now am down to 2-3 weeks between watering. The top of the soil dries pretty quickly so it doesn't seem like it's holding the water for very long, but the bottom of the four trunks get softer and more wrinkled everyday!!!

I also bought some GREEN GREEN plant food from Chinatown which they told me is really good for the money trees and twisty bamboo plants and the people in Chinatown always have these GREEN GREEN plant foods in their trees, but it's not helping!!!

PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY TREE!!!

PIRANHA [Eek!]
by Dixie Angel on November 28, 2006 05:44 AM
Overwatering will kill a money tree quickly, as you have found out already.

If I were you, I would re-pot it into a smaller pot with dry soil. It likes bright light, but not directly in the sun. I have had my money tree for three years now and have not had any problems with it...yet. I have only re-potted it one time into a container that was slightly bigger than the original pot.

Make sure to water it when the soil dries out and not before. I hope you don't have any root rot going on below the soil...

Hope this helps...

By the way, welcome to the Garden Helper Forum. You will enjoy the information and banter around here, I am sure...

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: