The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Soapy washes?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: soapy looking spots| Next thread: Soft Yucca Plant »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on June 06, 2004 03:32 AM
Please give instructions on performing "Soap Washes" [teacher] Which insects does it help control/rid of?
by lizheaemma on June 06, 2004 03:52 AM
soap washes..

I find that soap washes are most effective for spider mites, mealy bugs, and aphids, for scale I generally get out the rubbing alchol.

There are a number of ways that a soap wash can be done and I usually decide by the size of the plant. If it just a little guy I fill up the kichen sink and cover the soil with my hand and turn the plant upside down and wash it, thoughly. If the plant is too large to do this to I put it in the tub and put soap and water in a spray bottle and really cover it! Some people rinse off there plants, I generally don't! The most important thing is to really cover the plant, get under the leaves and in the nooks and crannies where the pests might be hiding!

Hope that this help, let me know if you have any questions!

Ali
by Botanical Beauty on June 09, 2004 04:03 PM
HMMMM, Soapy Washes

Its easier to mix a solution of water and Ivory Dishwashing Soap in a spray bottle and spray top and bottom of leaves, nodes and internodes. This is ideal for Spider Mites, Dust Mites, and Aphids.

For Scale and Mealy Bug and 30% alcohol to your spray mixture. Gently wipe the pests off with a paper towel after spraying. The Ivory Soap hasn't any anti-bacterial agents in it that may kill the beneficial bacterial in your soil. So for soil Gnats you can squirt the Ivory directly on the soil before you water the plant.

The soap residue will aid in the prevention of re-infestation of your plant, it dehydrates the pests, and leave the leaves looking shiny. If it's for insects that your spraying think about their reproductive cycle and re-treat just prior to eggs hatching, 10 days or so. Don't use soap and water on soft or fuzzy leaves, and NEVER use ALCOHOL on Palms.

Gracious Gardening,

Botanical Beauty
by Will Creed on June 14, 2004 12:51 AM
A correction to the above post.

Liquid soap solutions are not effective against fungus gnats. In fact, soap will keep the soil moist and that is just what the gnat larvae want. Sand, diatomaceous earth and potato slices are much more effective with gnats.

Liquid soap sprays do not have any residual effects. Once the soap dries it is no longer effective. That is why complete coverage with the spray or dunking is critical to successful treatment.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: soapy looking spots| Next thread: Soft Yucca Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: