The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Split Leaf Philodendron

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Split Leaf Philodendron| Next thread: Split leaf philodendron »
Back to Thread index
by Norvona on June 02, 2004 08:19 PM
Hi!
I've done a Garden Search and can't find this question asked before, so...can anyone tell me why the new leaves on my Split Leaf Philodendron are not split? [dunno] It's happening on all of them, even the oldest and original one. Help! [shocked]
Norvona
by Newt on June 05, 2004 03:55 AM
Hi Norvona,

I'm not sure of this answer, but I am thinking that it may be rootbound. How long has it been in it's pot and have you checked to see if it needs to be repotted?

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by papito on June 05, 2004 03:40 PM
Norvona,

Did you know that the roots, not the vines of Split-Leaf Philodendron (MONSTERA deliciosa)are what Tarzan used to swing through the jungle?

To answer your question: The leaves of the Monstera get very large, but at first they are small and do not have the holes it is best known for. The more elaborate leaves begin to develop in the third or fourth new leaf. These have just a few round holes, but gradually, as more and more leaves appear they become much larger with characteristic slashes.

It is a heavy, climbing plant, as a houseplant it needs to be placed where it can be attached to a window frame, wall or trellis. Support must be sturdy. It isn't necessary to place this plant next to a window. It tolerates the lower light levels back into a room. An east or west facing room is fine, or a bright north facing room with adequate light. Strong sun will leave ugly dried patches on the leaves. Prefers temperatures in the lower 70's, but can tolerate less in the wisnter (60's).

Likes plenty of water in the summer months when days are long, but water less in the winter. Fertilize as it is watered in the summer, about once a month. Feed less in the winter.

The other latin name for Monstera is Philodendron pertusum; some commonly call it the Swiss Cheese plant. [Info from Success With Houseplants]

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Split Leaf Philodendron| Next thread: Split leaf philodendron »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: