The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pine borers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2002
« Prev thread: Pincushion Plant| Next thread: pine tree yellowing »
Back to Thread index
by iris israel on August 24, 2002 07:55 AM
HELP! I have 7 pine trees that have turned completely brown witin the last 6-8 weeks due to pine borers that travelled from my neighbor's yard...he had pine much delivered, and we believe it was infested because he had an infestation in his trees shortly afterward. How do you control them from killing more of the trees in my yard? :
by Bill on August 25, 2002 06:40 AM
I wish that I could offer you a quick fix. Unfortunately, borers (the larvae of the Clearwing Moth) are tough to control because they burrow beneath the bark of trees, making the inaccessible to most chemical applications. The moths lay their eggs primarily on trees which suffer from some sort of stress. The tunnels which the newly hatched larvae create as they burrow and eat disrupt the flow of nutrients and water to the trunk and branches, weakening them and possibly killing the entire tree.
Keep your trees well watered and fed, and remove and destroy affected branches.
You may be well advised to contact a certified arborist or tree service regarding the removal of the dead trees. He can also offer suggestions regarding the use of parasitic wasps and beneficial nematodes in your garden to control borers and
many other harmful insects.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Bill ]

-

by Plant Doctor on September 10, 2002 06:48 AM
There is a pesticide that will work against borers. However it is not one that the home owner can use themselves. Most tree care companies offer a injection of a insecticide called Merit. The active ingredient is called (Imicloprid) though I am not sure of the spelling. It works systemically, making the plant inedible to insects. One injection should last the season, and the earlier given the better, as it does take a while to work, depending on the girth of the tree.
Good Luck
Mike

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pincushion Plant| Next thread: pine tree yellowing »
Back to Thread index