The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Suffering jade plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Suffering Azalea's| Next thread: Sugar & Spice Pecans ~Suzydaze »
Back to Thread index
by JJeffress on May 21, 2004 10:55 PM
Hi there---I inherited a pretty large jade plant a year or so ago that has recently developed some mysterious symptoms and I am worried that it is going to croak.

First off, it is dropping leaves like crazy. Many of these leaves are turning black/dark brown and look almost like they are forming tiny little crystals on them (resembling sugar crystals)??? For a while it was under attack by mealybugs, but following the suggestions found on the web, I thoroughly sprayed it down with a mixture of water with a small amount of dish soap. While this seems to have rid it of the insects, the leaf drop continues. Does anybody have any suggestions for what may ail my poor plant? I have noticed a fair amount of new growth popping up on the ends of the branches, but pretty soon it will be a naked jade tree if I keep losing mature leaves at the current rate...!
by weezie13 on May 24, 2004 08:06 PM
Hello JJeffress, [wayey]

Sorry I missed this earlier!!!

Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!

I'd like to let you know, I'm going to move your post in to a section, " House Plants"
that is a little more traveled thru by our house plant gardeners.................

And in the meantime someone will be thru shortly!!

Also, check out some of our newer sections here, that we've added! And add to anything you'd like, post to a old one or create your own!!!

There's alot of very nice gardeners here!!!
Welcome Again!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deterding on May 25, 2004 04:49 AM
I've been having Jade plant problems myself, which has let me to a little research. That, along with some helpful people here, I've come a long way.
First off, you may be watering it too much. Mine started dropping leaves, which soon turned in to mushy stems, and what I believe to be rot. I'm not sure yet if this can be cured, but I do know that the sooner you catch it, the better chance you have.
Let the soil dry out for about a week or so, just make sure the pot has drainage so the water isn't just sitting there, which will contribute to rot. Allow the leaves to get a little wrinkly before watering again, but just be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't dehydrate.
Next is the amount of light. Since it's been moved, you can be almost sure that it's lighting conditions are different, and it may need some time to adjust to that. Just make sure it's getting plenty, but again keeping an eye on it as to not allow sunburn. If you can, mimic as closely as you can the conditions it was in before.
I hope this helps. I know it's pretty basic stuff, so hopefully someone else may be able to go a little more in depth. Good Luck!

~Aaron

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Suffering Azalea's| Next thread: Sugar & Spice Pecans ~Suzydaze »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: