The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bromeliad flowers?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Bromeliad Assorted| Next thread: bromeliads... »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on February 16, 2005 08:16 AM
Hi!
I was lookin at my bromeliad, which i rescued from walmart *omg it was almost dead!* and i was lookin at the flower. Then i thought about the other flowers i've seen, and started wondering, "Howcome my bromeliad flower doesn't look like the same shape as the other flowers?"

So ya, i went to Wentworth's and saw two basic shapes for the flowers:
The Rosette
The Flat one

Mine's the flat one, which i was hoping would turn into a rosette, but ya, that's my question ^.^
Do they end up both looking the same in the end, or are they definately different?

Thank you ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on February 17, 2005 01:25 AM
definitely different, but the flat ones are easier to get the seeds from [Smile]
by Will Creed on February 17, 2005 03:07 AM
Hi Phoebe,

Bromeliad is a large family of plant species that includes such diverse plants as the pineapple, Spanish moss, and air plants.

The flat Bromeliad that you referred to is probably a Neoregelia. The taller Bromeliads that are commonly sold are Guzmania and Aechmea.
by Nako on February 17, 2005 10:32 PM
Oh okay, cool [Smile] Thank you! I think i'm gonna get one of the ones with a rosette type flower. I like those ones more than the flat ones, because they have more definition and spaces in them ^.^ Plus they hold water in the flower too [thumb]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Will Creed on February 18, 2005 03:30 AM
I know it's neat to put water in the Bromeliad cup, but it is no longer recommended except in locations that are quite warm and breezy. There is a risk of rotting the cup if the water stagnates. Watering just the soil works just fine.

I recommend a Guzmania because their flowers can last up to 6 months in good light. I don't know of any other flower that will last as long as that.

Will
by Nako on February 18, 2005 04:33 AM
I know!! Bromeliads are so cool ^.^ I like em, cuz they look cool, even without their flowers [Smile] there's also talk about one being carnivorous, but they're not quite sure. They found bug carcases in this species cup on several occasions.

But ya, what i do to keep the water from becoming stagnent is i rinse it out every once in a while by pouring fresh water on top of it so the rest of the old water falls out and into my other plants ^.^

Its still in its 2" cup right now cuz there's a very small root system. So i'll wait till i see roots coming out of the bottom before i repot it ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bromeliad Assorted| Next thread: bromeliads... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: