The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Humidity Trays

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Humidity levels| Next thread: Hummer!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Muskrat on May 19, 2004 09:26 PM
Hi. I have humidity trays...trays with rocks in them underneath my pots, and i keep them filled with water...for my bonsai trees. They seems to enjoy the extra humidity, but I am annoyed by the mold/algae and little white bugs who live in among the rocks. Is there another option, or an easy cleaning solution that anyone can recommend? [dunno]
I have cleaned the trays a few times before, but it is SUCH a project and I think a lot of rocks end up going down my sink drain... [Razz]

Thanks in advance!
Amie [wayey]
by Nako on May 19, 2004 09:40 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm i'm having visions of things without rocks... like those things you find on the floor of pools that let the water drain onto the tiles, but still let you walk on a dry floor. Know what i'm talking about? Those little sqary rubber mat things?

Or instead of rocks, you could use a sponge... but that would probably rot... Hmmmmmmmm >.o tricky. Maybeeeeeeeee you could use a plate full of water, but with a mesh over it so the pot doesn't sit in the water, but right above it. okay i'm just rabbling and inventing new things now ^.^

Someone else will come up with something better lol.

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Will Creed on May 20, 2004 02:50 AM
Amie,

Whenever the algae becomes noticeable, dump the tiny pebbles into a fine kitchen strainer and rinse them thoroughly with soapy water. Clean the tray with a little bleach and lots of water. Then replace the clean pebbles in the clean tray and you are good to go.

If you are using a lot of fertilzer on your bonsai, the excess may be running off and helping promote the algae in the pebble trays. Bonsais need very little fertilizer.
by Muskrat on May 20, 2004 09:31 PM
Thank you both...great ideas. I have been perhaps overfertilizing the bonsai...one of them went all yellow because it hadn't been fertilized probably all winter...and it perked right up with a bit of green juice. [Roll Eyes] [grin] Now I am likely overdoing it. I might consider those other tray ideas...they are good brainstorms...thanks!
[wayey] [muggs]
Amie
by Nako on May 20, 2004 10:53 PM
^.^ No problem!
I hope something works out for ya! We got good ol Will Creed here to help us out with just about every lil problem [Smile]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Humidity levels| Next thread: Hummer!!! »
Back to Thread index