The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by MandyNJess4Life on February 13, 2005 08:01 AM
Hi everybody!! I love flowers, but unfortunately have never been much of a gardener, due to the fact that Ive always rented and never been able to have my own garden ( I will one day though)!! [Wink] but I need some help! My father passed away on January 23rd, 2005(he had leukemia) and I have a medium sized pot of Chrysanthemums that were sent to his funeral. I brought these home and I am trying to keep them alive ( I call them "Daddy's Flowers") Unfortunately, I dont know how to care for them. They were really beautiful when I first brought them here,(white) but now they have turned brown and started withering even though I watered them everyday and exposed them to at least an hour or two of sunlight on some sunny days we've had in the past couple of weeks...(but it has been really cold outside here and cloudy) but I have also noticed that since the others have died there are several ?baby bloomers??? at the bottom that are growing now about 4 inches tall and you can tell they're brand new... LOL can you tell I dont know the gardening terms>>> Haha dont laugh too hard!!! Anyhow....Im not sure what to do to keep "Daddy's Flowers" alive [Frown] and if I can possible keep them alive, how much water do they need, how often, how much sunlight? direct or indirect... room temperature?? etc. etc. etc....I would APPRECIATE it soooooo much if someone could give me some pointers on bringing my babies back to life...do I cut the dead ones back and allow the new babies to grow??? Im clueless... Please help! Thanks so much!

~*Mandy*~
by Cricket on February 13, 2005 08:38 AM
Hi, Mandy! [wayey]

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you found us!

So sorry to hear of your father's passing - cancer is such a cruel disease! We'll do everything to help you learn to care for the chrysanthemums that mean so much to you. Here is some information about chrysanthemums to get you started. [grin]
Potted Mums

Chrysanthemum Care

Dividing and Transplanting Mums

Crysanthemums from seeds

and finally,
Chrysanthemum winter care

From your description of new growth, it sounds like your mums are healthy. It's perfectly normal for blooms to fade, wither and brown as they age. Just pinch them off to stimulate new blooms.

You mention you water the plant every day. Does the soil dry out that quickly? Generally, you want the top 1/4 or so of soil to dry out before watering. If your mum is drying out so it needs water daily, it might need repotting.

I'm sure someone else will be able to add to this but I hope this starts you off. Good luck with your special chryanthemums and please keep us posted how they do!

Cricket
by weezie13 on February 13, 2005 08:58 AM
Hi Mandy,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!!

I can relate to every word with your father's circumstances, I have gone thru that exact thing with my dad, 4 years ago, almost to the date....

Anyhow,
quote:
but now they have turned brown and started withering even though I watered them everyday
My first reaction is stop watering so much..
I don't think they need that much, unless it's super hot where you live as it evaporates??????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: