The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Multiple plants in a planter?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Triss on October 20, 2006 09:31 AM
Today I got some plants on sale from WM.

I would like to creat two planters with these plants and mix them and am wondering if you think they will do well together.

My plants are a Snake Plant (Mother in Laws tongue, sanseveria), a Croton (codiaeum), and a Marginata Dracaena.

Since there are several individual plants in each container, I am hoping to be able to combine them to make two great looking arrangements.

Any thoughts?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Jiffymouse on October 20, 2006 11:19 AM
i wouldn't put the sansieveria in the pot with the croton or dracaena. they both like water more than the sansieveria. the sansieveria likes it a little dryer, and definitely well draining.
by Star Dancer on October 20, 2006 04:27 PM
I agree with Jiffymouse's reasoning for planting the Sansevieria with the Croton or D.marginata. However, I also advise against companion planting the Croton and D. marginata as they also have different light and water requirements. I have tried planting the two together in the same pot with dismal results.

Crotons do best in direct sunlight and don't like their soil to dry out much between waterings.

D. marginata thrive in bright indirect light and needs to dry out between thorough waterings, though not as much as Sansevierias..

If you are willing to keep the Sansevieria and D. Marginata in their individual pots, you can plant them together in a third, larger ornamental pot. That way each plant can be watered according to its individual requirements. Sanseveria is touted as a good low-light plant because it can survive in low light but it thrives in bright indirect light so might work well with D. marginata. One of mine has tripled in size in three months, located in a west window.

For the best success companion planting, choose plants with similar care requirements.

However you choose, please post pictures. It sounds like an interesting project.

Star
by Triss on October 21, 2006 12:04 AM
Thanks for the advise. The only one of the 3 I already have is the Dracaena so I was not sure how well they would go together. I think I will keep them all separate then but place them close together.

The reason I originally picked the 3 plants was that they all had tags that said low light, medium watering but I KNEW I would get good advise if I checked in here. Will post pics once I get them in their planters, but here are the Croton and Dracaena in their "from the store pots" and in the area they will be living.

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by plantqueen on October 21, 2006 02:24 AM
Very nice plants Triss! Nice location.

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by penny in ontario on October 21, 2006 08:46 AM
Looks cute Triss [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Star Dancer on October 21, 2006 04:15 PM
Lovely plants!

A pet peeve is when stores incorrectly or generically label tropical plants. Crotons need several hours of direct sunlight every day and quickly fall apart in lower light.

I look forward to seeing photos of your plants in their new planters!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: