The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

asparagus fern

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Asparagus Fern.| Next thread: Asparagus fern? »
Back to Thread index
by ladyslippers on October 16, 2006 07:55 AM
I bought an asparagus fern in the spring to put in the middle of my hanging pot of mini bells for the summer. This weekend because of change in weather it was time to put away the outdoor pots. This fern however has tripled in size and instead of the center of the pot it is the whole pot. It is beautiful! I pulled out the mini bells and brought the fern inside. My question is does any one know what this fern likes and do you think it will do well inside? I do not have very good luck with house plants other than the cactus family. Thanks for any information you can give me.

so much to do so little time
by Star Dancer on October 16, 2006 06:26 PM
Can we assume you had the Asparagus ferns in the shade (bright indirect light) outdoors where they thrive best?

Indoors, place the Asparagus fern in a bright location. A few hours of winter sunshine is good (direct summer sun can burn leaves). Unfortunately, as the plant adjust to the lower light of your home (light in even the brightest window is many times less than outdoor light)you can expect the plant to shed many, if not most of its sharp leaves. New leaves that are acclimated to the indoor light will eventually replace the shed leaves. Give it time.

Or, if you don't like the apprearance of sparse growth or picking up shedding leaves - did I mention they are SHARP?! - you can prune the plant back to any length up to an inch above the soil. It won't hurt the plant and new growth will be lush and full, especially if you regularly prune extra long or dead stems.

Let the top 1/2 inch of soil dry out between waterings, then water thoroughly.

Asparagus ferns are fast growing with exceptionally strong tubers but they do well rootbound. Some well-established older rootbound plants produce red berries in early spring.

Best of luck.

Star
by ladyslippers on October 17, 2006 08:08 PM
thanks for all that wonderful information.

I had it in morning sun and afternoon shade.

It did grow very fast outside. I think I will cut it back because I will think I am killing it when I see all the needles drop, and it will be pretty messy.

I hope it makes it through the winter and those berries sound nice.

thanks again

ladysippers

so much to do so little time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Asparagus Fern.| Next thread: Asparagus fern? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: