The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor plants and container gardening for outdoors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Indoor peace lily| Next thread: Indoor Primroses »
Back to Thread index
by Judith on February 29, 2004 01:12 AM
I have gardened all my life, but am now physically unable to garden outside anymore. I would like to learn how to plant in containers indoors that could be moved outside when the weather permits. We do have freezing temperatures in NW Florida. I can't afford a greenhouse just yet, so will have to protect them in our house or garage. Can anyone help me with getting started on this?
by weezie13 on February 29, 2004 01:25 AM
[wayey] [flower] Hello Judith [flower] [wayey]
Welcome Aboard!!
We are glad you found us!!!

What I'm going to do is move your post just to let you know into section that's a little more widely traveled through our gardening members
for an answer on container gardening!!
I'm going to move your post into the Plants and Flowers section your question may be answered
a bit faster there.

I do know we have several gardeners who container garden, and they may be able to give you some good advise for such plants and care...

We also have several members in your state so maybe if you see one from fla you can strike up a conversation!!

Welcome Again!
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on February 29, 2004 01:46 AM
Judith,
Papito, Jillie, and JC (aka Hollywood)
are the first three gardeners I believe
would really be able to help you!!
There's a few others as well, but I'm
having brain~drain right now!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by rue anemone on February 29, 2004 04:49 PM
So sorry to hear about your need to change from outdoor gardener to indoor, BUT very happy to hear it is not stopping you!!

I love the idea about turning your garage into a greenhouse. I have often thought about doing just that. You could be a little sloppier with the water in a garage than in the house.

I used to over winter my houseplants in the basement but got tired of carrying the real heavy ones up and down the stairs.

In a house you have to carry plants to the sink. Or at least I do because I tend to be messy, well I like to water alot occassionally and let it drip out the bottom of the pot.

You will need light.

Big plants can be put on rolling carts.

-
 -
by foliagefreak on March 01, 2004 12:25 AM
Hello Judith

Im in Crestview Florida I see you are in the same geographic location. Nw Florida. Ive converted a section of my bedroom into a green house. I got Caladiums and Elephant ears And a tub water garden with Lilies, anachris, sweetflag, and water canna a few comet goldfish too. all waiting to go outside on the deck when the weather gets better. I hung a few shop lights 4 feet from the plants and let me tell you everything is starting to grow!!! Its a jungle in here!
by Judith on March 01, 2004 08:30 PM
Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement. I am looking forward to chatting with all of you, and plan to post to those members suggested, as well as others I've found with similar interests.

Thanks again! I think I've found a new way to get back into gardening!
by weezie13 on March 02, 2004 05:49 PM
That's Awesome Judith!!
Gardening is one of the best things for the soul!
And you might not have to do it on a large scale.
Pots and containers... Work just fine!!!
We have a little thing going with sedums and moss.
There's like three posts that have some cute ideas, and could be left out doors all winter!
#1. Living Wreath by Rue Anemone
#2. Wonderful Sedum Ideas by Plants~n~Pots
#3. Sedums by Heuchera

There's alot of things here, from some previous posts, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in MOSS,
SEDUMS, POTS, CONTAINER GARDENING, RAISED BEDS....

You'll find alot of good info!!

Let us know if we can steer you in a certain direction!!! We'll be glad to do it!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by papito on March 02, 2004 05:53 PM
Hello Judith,

I do mostly gardening in containers because of limited space. I use single and double pots. The pots are either of plastic, wood or Ceramic material.

The main advantage of container gardening is that the plants can be moved to almost anywhere in the yard or the house.

The main disadvantage is that the soil tends to dry out much faster. Heat from sun, those reflected from the ground or wall, or winds can have the drying effect on the soil because of the thinner walls of the pots, so there is more watering involved.

As in ground gardening, plants in containers will still need fertilizing, mulching, trimming, weeding, frequent watering and pest/disease control/management.

Here are some other container gardening info.

Container Gardening Ideas

Why Container Garden?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by weezie13 on March 02, 2004 06:01 PM
WOW I like those Papito!!
Great ideas!!! [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by catlover on March 02, 2004 06:15 PM
Papito on your first link...7th row down....tall upright structure...with Verbena Takana Assortment planted on it..... I likey Mikey!!! [thumb]

How would I make that kind of structure??? [dunno]

Catlover

-
 -
 -
by rue anemone on March 03, 2004 05:02 AM
Those containers ae beautiful! I can`t wait!

-
 -
by Judith on March 03, 2004 03:51 AM
Weezie, Rue, Papito, & Catlover, thanks so much for your recent postings.

I love these ideas, and especially enjoyed the site links. I bookmarked them all for future reference.

I'm so excited about container gardening now. I had tried it in the past, but with little success. But your suggestions give me more hope now!

This is something that ya'll (southern) probably already know, but I'll post it anyway. You know how leggy/ropey diffenbachias get over time. I always seemed to wind up with all ropes with only a few leaves at the top. I was about ready to give up on them.

In one of my "live or die *#@*/ it!" moods, I decided to use some discarded window box type planters. I filled them half-full with potting soil mixture. Then I planted the roots at one end of the box, laid the "ropes" down on the soil, and covered them with additional dirt, leaving just the leafy part at the end out of the soil.

I put the boxes out in a shaded area, where they get water along with the rest of the yard. By the end of summer, I had two boxes full of leafy plants that had rooted from each of the nodes along the stems. They're still going strong after a year.

In winter, I put them in a sunny south side window. In March, I just put them outside in view again. Much easier than cutting and rooting the canes individually!

Now, if someone admires them and wants a few, I thin them out a bit, and still have a box full. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks again!

Judith
by Jiffymouse on March 03, 2004 07:41 PM
great idea judith! i might have to try that with one of my dracaena.
by papito on March 04, 2004 06:31 PM
Catlover,

I tried to search for instructions on theTukana Verbena assortment structure, but didn't find anything at the moment. My guess is, a support (trellis) was used to keep the verbena erect.

Found 3 nurseries in your area who might be selling the Tukana Verbena ass't.. Are you familiar with Myrtle Creek Nursery, Santa Margarita Grower or California Do-It Center?

Judith, many thanks for the tip on the Diffenbachia (layering).

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by plantacontainer on March 18, 2004 05:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by papito:
Hello Judith,

I do mostly gardening in containers because of limited space. I use single and double pots. The pots are either of plastic, wood or Ceramic material.

The main advantage of container gardening is that the plants can be moved to almost anywhere in the yard or the house.

The main disadvantage is that the soil tends to dry out much faster. Heat from sun, those reflected from the ground or wall, or winds can have the drying effect on the soil because of the thinner walls of the pots, so there is more watering involved.

As in ground gardening, plants in containers will still need fertilizing, mulching, trimming, weeding, frequent watering and pest/disease control/management.

Here are some other container gardening info.

Container Gardening Ideas

Why Container Garden?

Just wanted to say thanks for the link! www.plantacontainer.com

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Indoor peace lily| Next thread: Indoor Primroses »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: