The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

red spider mites (?)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: red savina help| Next thread: Red Trumpet Vine »
Back to Thread index
by applescruff on May 08, 2004 08:44 PM
A couple of days ago I got a new plant (peppermint) and have had it on the back porch of my dorm so that it can get sun. Well, the weather has been great and my aloe vera and jade haven't been getting enough sun so I moved them back there as well. Today on my way out the door to lunch I noticed that there were little red things on my aloe plant. there wewe severl of them hanging from what looked like a small spider web. I looked online and the only thing I found that sounds appropriate is red spider mites. Is this what I have? And if so, what do I do about them?

Thanks,
applescruff

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
by applescruff on May 09, 2004 02:14 AM
I forgot to mention the reason I'm not sure whether I have spider mites or not. Everything I read about them says that they are very small and hard to see but these can be easily spotted on plant leaves.

Also, I thoroughly looked over every one of my plants and took off any that I could see. Then I sprayed my plants with a solution of diluted biodegradable soap. (I read somewhere that this helps to cut down on mite and insect populations.)

Help please!

applescruff

by Will Creed on May 10, 2004 01:45 AM
When you move plants to the great outdoors, then you expose them to lots of insect pests that they would never see indoors. There is no way to control that, as you can indoors. Chances are these insects are not damaging your plants. If they are, then you will have to keep spraying them with soap. Better yet, move them back inside where they are protected from strange insects, too much sun, drenching rain, and high winds.
by loz on May 15, 2004 06:44 AM
Applescruff, you aren't the only one with those little red bugs......Every spring they come out here in full force and you can see them everywhere outside.....they are really bad here right now, I don't know technically what they are but I started a post on them last year. Kathie was right they normally disappear totally after a while.

little red bugs
by applescruff on May 15, 2004 05:03 PM
Will nad Loz,

Thanks for the info! After I sprayed my with the biodegradable soap the bugs stayed well away from my plants. (If you have a problem with these bugs I'd suggest doing the same.) I took a closer look and it appears that they are coming out of the brickwork; I have seen them crawling on or near brick buildings all across campus. I still have no idea what they are but I am dubbin them "Brick bugs" since that seems to be their prefered living area.

*smile*
applescruff

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: red savina help| Next thread: Red Trumpet Vine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: