The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can azaleas be grown indoors?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 02, 2006 06:04 AM
I have a cutting from an azalea in my landscape that air layered [dunno] itself so to speak. so i cut the branch off (only about a foot long with a good amount of leaves) and put in a good potting mix. can this grow indoors through the winter? thanks [grin]

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 02, 2006 06:16 AM
it does have alot of roots btw

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Jiffymouse on October 02, 2006 10:56 AM
it will really depend on conditions. but you have to remember that azaleas like a dormant period that comes from getting cold.
by joclyn on October 03, 2006 12:56 AM
i don't see why not.

azalea are used for bonsai (which are kept indoors). not saying you should give it the bonsai treatment, tho!

it should certainly survive being in a pot...like jiffy said tho, it WILL go through a dormant period - so expect it to look like what's outside for part of the winter (bare branches). being that you're going to keep it indoors, that might happen later than usual (since we're going to need to turn the heat on soon). you might want to put it in your basement or garage for a few months so that it can go into the dormant phase - just remember to water it regularly!!
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 03, 2006 08:29 AM
thanks for the info! [thumb] [thumb]

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: