The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ponytail Palm

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 02, 2006 04:06 AM
My ponytail Palm is growing side shoots? [dunno] Is this normal or should i pinch them off? its never dont this before and i odnt know why its suddenly doing it now. I had it ouside all summer and jut brought it in 2 weeks ago. could having that change make it develope these? Thanks!

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by angelblossom on October 02, 2006 06:56 AM
[wavey] Hi garden guy At what point is it growing side shoots??? at the base or on the stalk?? I've had 2 for 20+ years , on one of the two I had pinched out the top just to see what it would do( another one of my experiments
[Roll Eyes] [dunno] [Big Grin] wasn't long before I had a side shoot coming off the main stock at the base,, Now I have two of them at the base growing I just leave it alone and let it grow
did you at any time pinch out the top or it got knocked off somehow?? this is my experience may be someone else can better answer your question. Here is my pony tail the first one that I didn't pinch out is just one the second one you'll have to look inside sorry not a good close up but at the bottom center to the right you can see two small ones growing from base
 -

this one got pinched out of top about 3 years ago
 -

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on October 02, 2006 07:00 AM
great plants [thumb] !!! mine is not nearly as big and the base is just a stump but it is growing off the base and the top was never pinched or nocked off because it too is still growing. Thanks for all the help!

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by angelblossom on October 02, 2006 08:48 AM
How long have you have it? possibly it was done before you got it! On average these plants only grow about 3 inches a year Extremely slow growers!! [Eek!] If you pinch your start off you'll probably get another start next to it or lower down Just let that baby grow [thumb]

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 02, 2006 09:39 AM
I hope my ponytail palm grows up to look like yours!
That is awesome! [thumb]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by angelblossom on October 02, 2006 09:46 AM
It will Cindy [thumb] It just takes forever to get it there!!! Mine started getting a wavey/curley look on the first pic in particular about 6 years ago,, now the other one is starting to . I got them at the same time,& the same size
and have only repotted once that I can remember. I used to take them out side in the spring But the last two years I haven't It's just to doggone hot here. they seems not to mind being in so I just leave 'em alone .

I need to get it on a taller pedestal it's dragging almost foot on the floor [Eek!]

-
 -
by chenno on October 02, 2006 10:08 AM
I got one from jiffymouse.and I need to take pics, as it is looking fine [thumb]

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Jiffymouse on October 02, 2006 11:00 AM
[thumb] i'm glad it is doing well. it's sisters are so so, 'cause they got a little more neglect than they like, but they are perking back up!
by afgreyparrot on October 02, 2006 11:11 AM
quote:
I got one from jiffymouse
That's where I got mine! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by chenno on October 02, 2006 11:38 AM
I will try to post next week...Love the plant

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: