The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

croton problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Croton bugs???| Next thread: Crotons losing leaves »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on January 31, 2005 04:54 AM
[thinker] Hmmmm....I was checking my croton today and noticed a lot of spider-web-like-stuff on many of the leaves. It seems finer than a spider web, though [thinker] Does anyone have any ideas? I love this plant! I'll admit, [Roll Eyes] I don't regularly dust or mist the leaves, but I swear to at least weekly from now on! [grin] I would hate to lose this plant! Also, I was thinking the other day-this might sound kind of silly, but i'm fairly new at all this, is there a difference between "fertilizer" and "plant food"? Thanks for your help! [wayey]
by lt1yw on January 31, 2005 06:47 AM
Hi there.
Sounds like Spider Mites, caused by dry, warm air. Try increasing the humidity, and perform multiple rinsings with lukewarm water. You could also try a plant sauna. To do this, water the plant well and enclose it in a transparent plasic bag. Leavy it for several days, as the extreme humidity will kill the Spider Mites. Keep an eye out for mold though.

Good luck!
LT
by rozy221 on February 01, 2005 05:14 AM
Wow! Thanks for your help-I think I will try the sauna thing-I've never heard of that before. Any suggestions for permanantly keeping the humidity up without a tray of pebbles? I've got a toddler that I'm afraid may try to put them in his mouth. Thanks!
by DaisyM on February 01, 2005 07:33 AM
Yep, most likely spider mites. This problem arises from dry air and poorly ventilated rooms. I lost my croton from this. It was at the point that first aid didn't help anymore. The leaves turned yellow and then started to drop. It's best to check this problem now, before it becomes badly infested with the mites. Try a portable humidifier in your room, and see if that helps. Good luck.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Croton bugs???| Next thread: Crotons losing leaves »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: