The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can you trick bulbs this late in the year??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by frustratedattimes on March 12, 2005 10:25 PM
OK, can you trick tulips and crocus into growing and blooming this late in the year? I went to Home Depot and they were closing out thier bulbs and I bought about 80 for less than a dollar [thumb] [Razz] . Now my question is this; do I need to wait till fall to plant them for next year or can I throw them in the refrigerator for a week or so and trick them in to growing and blooming still this year? [dunno]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by JV on March 17, 2005 01:58 PM
[grin] Hello frustratedattimes (who isn't) dont think you will have to trick them. I got some daffodils in February they were all croweded together in a very small pot. I seperated them into eleven pots.I was told they would not bloom but here it is March and they have grown to be about 12 inch tall and have they prettiest yellow blooms you ever saw. I am organic and hope that has something to do with it. Just plant them in pots or ground if warm enough throw some water their way one in awhile and stand back. Hope this helps. [flower]

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Cricket on March 18, 2005 09:49 AM
Hi Frustrated [wayey]

Have the bulbs you purchased already flowered this year? If so, I think you might have to wait until next year. Some of our local stores are packaging and inexpensively selling spent bulbs taken from pots that didn't sell earlier in the season. They're cutting off the foliage that would normally be used to replenish the bulb's food stores to produce next years bulbs so I question the quality of next years blooms.
by Jiffymouse on March 19, 2005 02:39 AM
if the bulbs didn't bloom already (or even if they did, you never know...) you can plant them out and they might do just fine. my daffodils and glads are behaving very nicely for a change... and they weren't dealt with properly at all...
by frustratedattimes on March 20, 2005 03:17 PM
Well, these bulbs are in packaging, from Holland, so I do not think they have bloomed any time recently,, so I am putting them in the ground and crossing my fingers. I am looking forward to having tulips and crocuses in my flowerbed...

Thanks all for the help.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: