The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dying Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Dying phlox and Forsythia| Next thread: Dying plant »
Back to Thread index
by 19274mmichfa on December 15, 2004 03:41 AM
I have a plant that has much sentimental value to me and I think it is dying. 3 weeks ago I noticed the leaves started getting tiny white spots on them. Now the leaves are starting to get brown. I have kept it in the same place for months with the same amount of water and sunlight. Any ideas?
by 19274mmichfa on December 15, 2004 10:27 PM
Hi there. The plant is a chamaedorea elegans. Here is a picture.

-

Thanks.
by weezie13 on December 15, 2004 11:34 PM
19274mmichfa,

There's a little bit of growing info on the bottom of this post, on the care for it,
see if it matches up with what you have been doing for your plant.... Guide to Growing Indoor Palm Trees/Chamaedorea elegans

Also, what I'm going to do is move your post into HOUSEPLANT SECTION, as it's traveled a little more by gardeners that garden indoors....

And can you tell us how much water you gave it?
Or how, from the top or bottom??
Have you fertilized it??
Or not??
Which window is it by for light, if any???
Anything traumatic happen to it lately???
And kind of soil?? Still the original from when someone gave it to you?
And is it by a draft or heater vent??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by 19274mmichfa on December 16, 2004 12:28 AM
Hi,

I live in a highrise condo in down town Chicago. My condo only has windows on the east side, so I get about 30 minutes of direct light and then refracted light the rest of the day. The plant does sit by a window.

I make sure I keep the soil moist at all times by pouring water in the pot, not on the plant, and then spray the plant with a mister.

When I planted it, I put it in a pot that had room to grow. I planted it with top soil for indoor plants that I got at home depot.

I have not used any plant food or fertilizer at any time.

The only major change I would say is the climate. Obviously this time of year it starts to get plenty cold in Chicago and I start running the heat. There are no registers that blow on the plant.

I keep my place at about 70 degrees.
by Canadian CrabGrass on January 27, 2005 09:09 PM
Hi there!

I have one of those also, love those palms!

From what I can see of your picture, I'd say you might have an infestation of bugs - that yellowing of the fronds is a sign of spider mites damage, and palms are (sigh!) unfortunately known to be mite magnets...

If it's that far gone (yellow, browning leaves falling) I'm not sure you can save it. But try to spray it with either Safer's insecticidal soap, or a homemade brew of dishsoap (not detergent!) and a few drops of oil in water.

Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dying phlox and Forsythia| Next thread: Dying plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: