The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hi...Im a newb..just a few Qs abt my Lucky Bamboo

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: hey zone 5'rs| Next thread: Hi :wavey: »
Back to Thread index
by Neo Garfield on January 20, 2005 08:25 PM
Hi!
Im a newbie to gardeners forum.So to the point
I have a lucky bamboo...its starting to wilt...
-is it because of chlorine in water?should i boil and cool the water so that the chlorine will evaporate?
-i change the water once in 3 days and clean the glass container once in 3 weeks..How much water does it need?i mean the height.Should it be touching the leaves?
-Is it okay if I add fish to the pot.not many just 1 or 2 guppies.
-I have a 21 bunch.a few r starting to wilt..plz advice.No its not in the sun.
Thats it for now....
urs,
Mohan
P.S:can i split the 21 bunch into many smaller ones?

--------------------------------------
To be or not to be?
Poor Shakespeare-he didnt know whether to be or not to be!
lol....
by Amy R. on January 20, 2005 08:34 PM
hi Neo,
i don't know how much about lucy bamboos, but i know they get discussed often here. one trick you can do to access that info is to google

"www.thegardenhelper.com" + lucky bamboo

you should find quite a few informative links. hope this helps! (hope you stay lucky) [Wink]
by Neo Garfield on January 21, 2005 08:47 AM
Hi amy,
thanks for ur tip but I already tried that out! [dunno]
It did not answer my questions....they r for different probs and so on I didnt find any that suited my doubts!
[wayey] And another question......
Is my bamboo wilting coz there are 41 sticks ib that bunch?Is it ok to split them?And should I tie it with a red ribbon- [teacher] someone said that you should tie it with a red ribbon if you want it to bring luck... [tongue]
Mohan

To be or not to be?
lol....
by Amy R. on January 21, 2005 09:19 AM
Okay Neo, you asked for it... [Wink]
I'm going to answer your questions in order:

Simply leaving a gallon(or whatever amount)of water out for 24 hours allows the chlorine to naturally dissipate, or you can just used bottled water for your bamboo, which is what I do.
I think the water just needs to cover the root ball completely, and I only change mine every ten days or so, using the same container.
The healthiest lucky bamboo I have ever seen was in a medium size goldfish bowl with quite a few goldfish swimming around in it. I used to keep my bamboo in with my Betta, and both of them did fine. Obviously you would not want to fertilize your bamboo with the fishies in there.
I'm not sure about the red ribbon, as I know nothing about Feng Shui, although I'm quite sure that is where it originates from.
I recently potted my bamboo in soil, as it had been sitting in water for over 8 months and had pretty much done all it could in that medium. Since then, it's leaves have yellowed a bit, but I am attributing this to the medium change and am hoping it will pull through.
Did I mention before that the Lucky Bamboo is actually a Draceana? While it will live in water for a time, I don't think it will ever actually thrive or reproduce. You might try searching Draceana + Lucky Bamboo as well for more tips.
I wish I could help you more, but it could be so many things; temp., light, fertilizer or lack there of, etc., that it is almost impossible for one to diagnose. And it sounds like you have quite a few to take care of, so hopefully you will have quite a few left when it's all said and done.
Whew! Sorry so long, hope it helps! [Smile]
by Cricket on January 21, 2005 09:41 AM
Welcome to the forum, Neo Garfield! [wayey]

Lucky bamboo is not really bamboo - it's a variety of draecena. I couldn't tell you how lucky it, but it's certainly marketed as such.

Using dechlorinated water for your lucky bamboo is a good idea, but your problems might stem from other causes, poor nutrition being one. It makes me [Mad] that these plants are sold with instructions to keep in water. Although, lucky bamboo will SURVIVE in water for a long time, they THRIVE in soil. Water just doesn't provide lucky bamboo with the nutrients they need. However, while they are in water, make sure the water level is high enough to at least cover all the roots - higher would be better so you wouldn't have to watch the evaporation as closely.

Your idea of adding fish to the bowl might add nutrients to the water, but I wouldn't personally try it for a couple of reasons:

1) Fish living in a bowl need to reach the surface to breathe. Lucky bamboo living in water rapidly grow long, entwining roots which would inhibit access to the water's surface. As the bamboo grows, it's going to compete with the fish for resources. Maybe in an outdoor pond... [dunno]

2) I can't think of any fish that's going to be happy living in a bowl it's whole life - imo.

41 plants in a bundle! That's a lot! So is 21!It might be a good idea to separate them into smaller bundles before their growth takes off on you, particularly if they're bundled tightly. My 5 lucky bamboos were potted individually and were recently repotted together in one pot. If I can find the photo, I'll repost it. My feeling about lucky bamboo is that they like company but don't crowd them.

Some of your plants ar wilting? Are the leaves green, yellow, brown? Remove yellow or brown leaves. What about the stalks? What color are they? If they start to turn yellow, carefully cut them back to a healthy green node, using a sharp blade. Remember that lucky bamboo stalks are tough!

I hope this information helps - that's all that comes to mind right now. Maybe someone else has something to add. Good luck with your lucky bamboo and please keep us updated with how they do!
by Cricket on January 21, 2005 09:46 AM
Amy, I must have been writing my post as you posted yours! [Big Grin]

It's really interesting that both your fish and lucky bamboo thrived in a goldfish bowl. I would have guessed a bowl to be too small a habit to accommodate both. [perplexed]
by Cricket on January 21, 2005 09:53 AM
 -

5 lucky bamboo - the shorter 2 were cut back because of yellowing stalks.

The plants in the foreground center and right have "babies" growing from the soil next to them.
by Amy R. on January 21, 2005 08:16 PM
WOW, Cricket, you are one Lucky Bamboo-er! Those are some fine specimens, NICE job.
Just to clarify, the gorgeous bamboo in with the goldfish was not mine. I saw it at one of my favorite haunts, Ze $ Store, and it was in a huge glass bowl. But yes, the roots were taking over and the water was somewhat stagnant looking, so who knows?
The bamboo I had in with my Betta didn't last long, as not only did it just seem somewhat contrived, my Betta kept attacking it. (This is totally off topic, but Bettas in the wild live in stagnant, shallow water, or puddles, so they actually do well in bowls.) Anyway, I moved the bamboo to a pot, where it lives to this day(although not nearly as lively as yours), and the Betta, well, he has moved on to clearer waters, so to speak. [tears]
by Cricket on January 22, 2005 05:55 AM
Thanks, Amy!

quote:
the Betta, well, he has moved on to clearer waters
So sad your Betta moved on! [tears]

I've been thinking of setting up an aquarium - it's been a few years since I've had one and my cat misses it. [Big Grin]
by Neo Garfield on January 22, 2005 12:22 PM
Thanks all.....Thanks Amy and Cricket
Thanks a lot for all the advice...um did I say that I got my bamboo only 2 weeks ago?lol... [Smile]
Thanks for all the trouble u took to type so much....
And abt the betta stuff-u see im an expert in growing fish-having done ot for the past 12 years...
Bettas always fight.They fight for food,mates,homes,fun,pebbles(YES PEBBLES!),and even individual plants!!!!!!!Thats their way of speaking... [muggs]
Hmmmm...about lucy(thats my lucky bamboos name)...Black color fungus has been growing on her leaf tips...I plucked off many leaves...is it ok?
Thats all 4 now...
Thanks again...
-Neo
P.S:Ne1 want a gmail invite?Drop me a personal message...

To be or not to be?
lol....
by Neo Garfield on January 23, 2005 10:14 AM
BIG PROBLEM NOW GUYS!!!!!!!!!!
Theres a bunch of stupid fu**ing [Frown] WORMS eating the leaves of my bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!
I killed abt 13 yesterday-NOE THEY ARE BACKKKK!!!!!
HELP ME!!!!!!!!
And lucy says"Eu tu brute?Then fall lucy!" [nutz]
HELP HELP HELP!!!
urs,
Neo

To be or not to be?
lol....
by Neo Garfield on January 23, 2005 10:21 AM
A1 to a3 pickup...
a3:whats up doc?
a1:lucys condition is worsening...
a3:so what?
a1:She will.........
a3:She will what?
a1:DIE!!!!!!!!!!!
a3:k sure...repeat after me...Lead Kindly light....
a1:SHUTUP!!!!!!!!!!
a1:GUYS HELP~!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
[shocked] [shocked] k:

To be or not to be?
lol....
by Cricket on January 23, 2005 10:49 AM
Neo,

Can you describe the worms eating Lucy? Do you have a photo? I'm not very knowledgeable about pests and fungi but others on the forum might be able to help you with them.

Are your bamboos still bunched together? If so, I wonder if they are receiving enough air circulation. Just a thought.

Cricket
by Jiffymouse on January 23, 2005 05:16 PM
neo, pull the whole bundle apart, and wash off all the worms, one stalk at a time, (you won't hurt the plant by putting it under running water, think of it as a driving rain storm) and then inspect the whole thing to make sure the plant doesn't have any worm holes in the stalks.. any that are clean can be kept, any that have worm holes, just through away... then pot the plant up in good potting soil and go from there.
by Neo Garfield on January 26, 2005 12:48 PM
Hey thanks...
As per jiffys advice I will have ZERO babmoos to plant!!!!!All of them have wormholes!!!!!!!!
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Thanks anyway......I think I will just throw away my plant and buy another one [Wink] that ought to work....
Neo

To be or not to be?
lol....
by Amy R. on January 26, 2005 05:32 PM
Ugh, that sucks! In a last ditch attempt, you could just cut the stalks off above the wormholes, provided they didn't burrow all the way up. Then you can basically start all over. I had to do that once with a bamboo that was rotting, so I cut off the bottom and re-rooted it in water.
I dunno, just a thought. [dunno]
Sorry about your plant(s). [tears]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hey zone 5'rs| Next thread: Hi :wavey: »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: