The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Kentia palm very sick

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Kentia Palm is dying| Next thread: Key Deer »
Back to Thread index
by Katerina on January 18, 2005 12:30 AM
Please help ! I live in Malta and have a 6ft Kentia Palm bought about four weeks ago, when it looked very healthy ! since then it has quickly lost a number of fronds. First they go brown mottled with a yellow halo, then just shrivel. The palm has not been watered and stands in a west facing window position with a little sun in the afternoon. Temp is approx. 70 degrees f. What am I not doing please ? Help much appreciated. [Eek!]
by kathyblairs on January 18, 2005 01:45 AM
Hi! I do not profess to be the best palm expert but something that might help is to use a bit of epsom salts as food for your palm the bag even comes with directions on how to dilute the salts and it is really cheap in your pharmacy. Let me know what happens and good luck kathyblairs
by Jiffymouse on January 18, 2005 03:16 AM
if your palm hasn't been watered in 4 weeks, you have just stated your problem. when the soil gets totally dry, you have to water it. it doesn't have the natural resources to go longer since it is in a pot and in your home.
by catlover on January 18, 2005 03:35 AM
Hi Katrina [wayey]
I would love to have this plant again.
My father had one in his office for YEARS...it had 3 small ones in it when first potted up. He would leave the flourescent lights on at night and during the day had the floure. lights plus a lot of indirect light. This plant got so big it took over the office. [Big Grin] and he had to acquire another one....so he gave it to me and I had it in an atrium at my condo for approx. 6 years....where again it outgrew the lattice shade area and needed to be planted where it would be able to stretch even further.....soooooooooo....we planted it in my parents backyard just under the canopy of untopped Avocado trees where it received a lot of indirect sun....when they moved..... that plant was soooooo big. Sure wish we could of dug it up and taken it with us....but the new owner of the property asked if we would leave it there...along with my cactus garden! [tears] Oh well....someone that appreciated them.

Anywho...the palm was in a very large plastic pot for years and was only transplanted once until it was planted in the ground. My dad and I both watered the palms by very slow drip and then took a plastic tube with a suction bulb put on the end to take the water out of the base (repeating the watering til the soil was saturated)...my dad had carpeting in the office but wanted to make sure the plant was watered thoroughly when it was watered thus, the bulb suction.
Not sure if this "book" helped you or not but thought I would share my experience with such a beautiful plant.
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Katerina on January 18, 2005 09:47 PM
Many thanks to all who have responded - it is very much appreciated and I hope even yet to save my palm !

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Kentia Palm is dying| Next thread: Key Deer »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: