The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

repot now or wait till spring?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Reposting to House Plants forum| Next thread: Repot Venus Fly Trap »
Back to Thread index
by treelove on September 07, 2006 08:26 PM
Morning, everybody!

I have two ivies, one schleffera, and an aloe vera that could benefit from being repotted.
The two ivies are in an old soil. One was potted sloppily: too much soil, all the way to the very rim of the pot, and the roots are sticking out a bit at the top. I do not know when the soil was changed last, but it looks like it's been quite a while. The schleffera is in the same situation (came from the same person).
The aloe vera is doing fine; it is in a new soil, but it is in a plastic pot, which appears a bit small. I read on this forum that aloes do better in clay pots.
I also have two African violets that I bought at a grocery store about two weeks ago. They are blooming but not two enthusiastically. The soil seems pretty hard, and it fills the pot to the brim, so when I water I always wet the leaves inadvertently. They are in plastic pots as well.

My question is:

Should I repot these plants now or wait till spring?

They will survive a few more months as they are right now, but I don't know which is the lesser evil: to repot when the active growth period is about to stop, or to let them wait in present condition.
Thank you for your advice. Have a good day all!

t.

I am so happy I found this forum!
by Tonya on September 07, 2006 09:35 PM
I would say go ahead and repot. I would keep the pot size close to same for the AVs and the Aloe, just use clay pots. The others, a pot that is about 1 inch larger if the roots are coming out of the soil or just new soil if the roots have not taken over the pot, yet! Good Luck to you! [thumb]

BTW! I haven't seen you around so,  - .

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by treelove on September 07, 2006 11:05 PM
Thank you, Tonya!

Your advice gives me an excuse to take advantage of the 50% pottery sale at the local nursery!

I am a new member on this forum. And already i have learned so much!!!!!!!!!

see you around [Wink] ,
t.

I am so happy I found this forum!
by Tonya on September 08, 2006 01:38 AM
[shocked] 50% off!! [tears] I wanna go! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

This really is a great place with TONS of info! I have learned soooo much!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on September 08, 2006 10:58 AM
When it comes to house plants anytime is good for repotting. I wouldn't use clay pots for the African Violets, they allow the soil to become too wet and also to evaporate to fast, a plastic or glazed pot works best for them, also if you get water on the AV leaves be sure to dry them off or that will cause rot. Bottom watering for the AV's is the best solution. Make sure that you use potting soil mix that is light for the AV's and Aloe, to allow for good drainage.

-
 -
by joclyn on September 08, 2006 12:07 PM
african violets do best when they are planted in pots designed specifically for av's. you should also use soil that is specifically for av's.

av's pots consist of two pieces: the inner pot is unglazed ceramic, the outer pot is glazed ceramic.

you put the soil/plant in the unglazed section and put the water in the glazed one. insert the unglazed pot into the base and the water will soak through the unglazed ceramic and keep the soil evenly moist.

ever since i switched my av's to these types of planters, they've done extremely well. they bloom ALL the time.

i also use these pots for other plants that need constant moisture...like the pink polka dot plant.
by Tonya on September 08, 2006 06:51 PM
I disagree with the "not clay for AVs" theory. My poor AV had been doing horrible (no blooms for over a year, seldom getting new leaves...) then I repotted into an unglazed clay pot and BOOM!!! within a month, I had bloom pods on it and it is making new leaves like mad.... I do have to water it every day, but...I can deal with that. Mine is also in Dollar store brand regular potting soil. The key to any plant is finding the right spot and amount of moisture for that plant. Best of luck to you!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Reposting to House Plants forum| Next thread: Repot Venus Fly Trap »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: